PetMD was started in 2008. Today, it’s one of the premier online resources for information about dog and cat health, safety, behavior, diseases and conditions, emergencies, nutrition, feeding, grooming, and other care topics.
With more than 10,000 pieces of original content, the site’s ever-growing library covers everything you need to know. And, because it’s all written and approved by veterinary professionals, readers can rest assured they’re getting reliable information.
The website also features a variety of other useful content and tools. For example, there’s:
- A glossary of veterinary terminology
- “Ask PetMD,” a searchable collection of questions and answers from veterinarians
- The Symptom Checker, an app that returns relevant articles based on your dog’s symptoms
- The Healthy Weight Calculator, which helps determine your assistance dog’s ideal body weight
- The Chocolate Toxicity Meter, a tool that lets you know whether you need to take action if your hearing, guide, or service dog consumes chocolate
Another great part of PetMD is its breed guide. It covers nearly 200 dog breeds, offering general information about each one’s physical characteristics, personality traits, temperament, care needs, health concerns, and history and background. These breed profiles, descriptions, and insights are important to selecting a service, hearing, or guide dog breed that’s a good match for your living situation, disability, assistance needs, and personal preferences.
Whether your current assistance dog is your first dog, you’ve had others in the past, or you’ve had dogs as pets before, you’ll need a good source of dependable, up-to-date information about various aspects of canine health and care. PetMD, with its extensive, easy-to-understand, veterinarian-authored content, is a recommended place to turn.